Thursday, April 23, 2009

Mormon Q&A with Brian Mackert

Hey Folks,

Welcome to my blog. This blog was established to assist with any follow-up questions you might have about Mormonism after reading my book, seeing a TV interview or hearing me on the radio. I hope that you enjoyed it, found it informative, and that it has piqued your interest in learning more about the differences between Mormon beliefs and Christian beliefs. I pray that your journey here will lead each of you to a deeper relationship with Christ, and help you in sharing your faith.

Do you have any questions about the Mormon belief in God, Jesus, or man's ability to progress to godhood? Perhaps you have questions about Joseph Smith's first vision, his character, or perhaps his false prophecies. Or perhaps you would like to discuss my book. Well I'm here to answer your questions or point you to the resources that you need to find them. I look forward to your questions and comments.

Let's keep our comments on the topic of Mormonism, Christianity, and my book "Illegitimate - How a Loving God Rescued a Son of Polygamy".

Let's treat others as we would like to be treated, with dignity and respect. Don't attack other participants, it only weakens your position and your witness. Thanks!

-Brian Mackert

P.S. If you would like to listen to my presentation on Mormonism at Christ Community Church in Omaha, Nebraska you can by clicking on this: http://www.cccomaha.org/resources/messageVideos/Mark_Ashton_April-26-09.mov

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brian
    I was in your class today and wanted to quickly just clarify who I am and why I am in your class. I think it is better to do it here in your blog than anywhere else :)

    First, I am in your class because I am seeking Christ. Selfishly, I need some spiritual guidance/help.

    Second, who I am: I am the woman who mentioned she was raised in the LDS church and left around age 32. My mother left when I was 18, and I spent the next 14 years doing everything I could to convince myself that she was wrong.

    I was always very active in the LDS church. This means I have been through pretty much everything: primary, young women, seminary, BYU (and all their religion classes), and I married my first husband in the Salt Lake temple in 1988. Plus, being so active, I've also held lots of callings... things like nursery leader, RS homemaking leader, young women leader.. etc. Actually, my most recent calling (right here in Omaha) was Spiritual Living Instructor in Relief Society.

    My daughters are still quite active. One recently married in the Provo temple just 2 weeks ago, another will be a junior at BYU next year, and my youngest is 14. So as their mother, I am still very well connected with the LDS community in Omaha. They are truly very nice people.

    I remarried back in 2001. My husband knew very little about Mormons then. Today we attend CCC.

    This is a lot of information about me, and I apologize if it more than I should have shared. I only wanted to let you know this background so that you can understand my perspective when I tell you that everything I have heard you say is true: both 2 weeks ago and today. This makes me pretty excited about your class.

    Not a lot of people can relate to what it means to lose your entire paradigm of reality, which is what happens when a person is raised LDS and then discovers that the LDS religion is not true: suddenly who you were, who you are, and what you will be when you die is all gone. It is like having the floor fall out beneath you, and getting sucked into a new reality where nothing is familiar, and nothing is holding you up, either. Nothing at all. It’s an epiphany of disastrous proportion. I’ve not been in that state of disaster for many years, but I will never forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again Brian
    We have not been able to attend your class the past 2 weeks, and I just wanted to make sure you knew that this has nothing to do with your class at all. We have had 2 weekends with family wedding events in a row. I thought one would allow us to still attend your class, but it was not possible after all. The other was in Florida. We plan to come to your class this week unless you think we have missed too much at this point? I hope it is ok.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete